From February 2009, a new law was introduced to protect children’s safety when it comes to blinds. This is covered under EN 13120 standard as a minimum safety requirement. We at Duffy’s Curtains always encourage (as instructed by management) the use of child safety devices in the blinds we sell.
As children grow so does their natural curiosity for all things around them. Basic appliances can turn into potential hazards that we all need to be aware of so that we can protect our home and give parents the the comfort of safety that is required. Child Safety is a top priority with Management in Duffy’s Curtains, particularly when it comes to blinds.
The standard operating length of most blinds with cord or chain operation has ben reduced to a maximum of 1m to lower the risk of injuries or harm on young children.
We recommend the following guidelines should be adhered to:
- To avoid entanglement, keep cords or chains out of the reach of young children;
- Move beds, costs and furniture away from window covering cords;
- Do not tie cords together. Make sure cords do not twist and create a loop; and
- Install and use the safety devices according to the installation instructions on these devices to reduce possibility of such an incident.
We also supply the Luxaflex solutions. These are a great product solution that looks well, it includes the following:
- LiteRise – Eliminate pull cords altogether with the LiteRise system. This cordless push-up, push-down system raises and lowers the product with minimum effort. LiteRise helps reduce any potential hazards from the home while also affording the use more comfort and a streamlined appearance.
- SmartCord and UltraLift – These are outstanding cord lifting systems. They feature a retractable pull cord that maintains a constant length, and allows the user to effortlessly raise and lower the shade. Additionally, the SmartCord system will automatically lower the blind to the preferred position after one simple pull of the cord.
- PowerRise and motorised operation – The remote control operation or wall switch eliminates operating cords for enhanced child safety. This would be one of the main reasons why we can’t recommend this solution too much.
- Softraise – This is a cordless roller blind solution that uses a spring mechanism for easy lifting and lowering. Easy yet affordable solution for parents.
- Skylight, Nano Blinds and tensioned models – These systems are designed to fit neatly into the frame of your windows, doors and skylights and eliminate the need for free hanging cord loops.
- Quick release cord connectors – These are fitted as standard on many blinds. These connectors break apart and separate when pressure is applied to them.
- Crank operation – Many products are available with a crank system. Out special crank system integrates both lift and tilt functions into one easy-to-use crank.
- Cord and chain operations – If you decide to go with a cord or endless chain, safety for you child is increased with extra safety devices. We offer the following solutions:
- Safety Chain Retainer – This device tensions chain loops which helps avoid the risk of entanglement.
- Safety Chain Breakout – This is used in conjunction with a Chain Retainer to make chain loops child safe.
- Safety Cord Cleat – This is used to wrap hanging cords around the cleat to keep them out of reach of young children.
- Safety Breakout Tassel 25mm Venetian Blinds – These are used on the lift cords of Venetian Blinds. When pressure is applied the tassel splits open, helping to avoid the risk of entanglement.
- Safety Breakout Tassel 35mm/50mm – This is used on the lift cords of Venetian Blinds. When pressure is applied the tassel splits open, helping to avoid the risk of entanglement.
- Safety Rings fo Venetian Blinds – These prevents the lift cords being pulled out of the blind, and helps to avoid the risk of entanglement.
- Safety Breakout System for Roman Blinds – This is where the lift cords break away from the back of the Roman Blind when pressure is applied, and helps avoid the risk of entanglement.
If you have any queries or questions please do not hesitate to contact us by phone (+353 1 8744606), email (email@example.com) or in person at our store at 27 North Earl Street.
We hope you found this post informative and useful.